Full time - 39.75 hours per week
Electronics Manufacturing is an exciting, fast paced environment which varies every day. But it’s also a challenging one which requires commitment and dedication. Consistently sourcing raw materials and delivering complex products on-time, in full doesn’t happen by luck. It’s not just a case of pushing a few buttons and hoping for the best. It requires an amazing team with a unique set of skills and a passion for process and control.
We build the electronic ‘hearts and brains’ for complex machines supplied all around the world. Our customers are at the top of their game and the products they design and sell keep the world moving – quite literally in some cases. So, any delay, shortage or damaged piece of material has the potential to stop our production lines and we can’t afford for that to happen. This is where you can help.
This is a new role for a Strategic Buyer responsible for metalwork or an experienced Senior Buyer looking for the next step in their career. They will have a strong background in electronics, engineering or contract manufacturing to develop and drive strategic sourcing plans using QCD principles. The Strategic Buyer will provide support to the delivery of objectives including supplier rationalisation, leveraging material spend and negotiating and implementing supplier agreements to ensure that the business has a dynamic, highly performing supply base to accommodate future growth. In addition, the Strategic Buyer will assist with resourcing initiatives, obtain competitive bids and analyse costs in order to make recommendations on future sourcing activity. The Strategic buyer will work closely with the Purchasing Managers and other functions to drive procurement excellence.
Job Role – description:
- To be accountable for supporting the entirety of the strategic procurement function, including supplier management, selection and evaluation
- Supporting the creation and implementation of sourcing strategies that adapt and respond to changes in both external market and internal demand
- Performing supply market analysis and monitoring supply markets.
- Benchmarking industry and evaluating new opportunities to be included in the sourcing strategies and supplier selection process.
- Leading monthly strategic supplier meetings with key/strategic supply partners.
- Analysing usage, cost, performance, data, etc
- Acting as the sourcing expert for certain products.
- Supporting strategic supplier evaluation process and selection.
- Supporting and monitoring saving projects for the specified products
- Tracking savings projects and supplier performance
- Identifying opportunities to implement best-in-class approaches to reduce TCO.
- You will maintain, improve and develop key supplier relationships. This will involve significant amounts of travel to suppliers in the UK and Europe.
- Identify new suppliers for your area of focus and assess the fit and suitability to become part of the future supply chain. You will carry out business assessments and due diligence processes before approving the supplier.
- You will carry out business audits for strategic suppliers in line with the company requirements.
- Lead commercial negotiations to achieve the best overall value for the company, ensuring all commercial issues are resolved efficiently and effectively. To include supplier agreements and favourable payment terms.
- In appropriate circumstances, work with Suppliers to hold buffer stocks of critical components and/or to have procedures in place to be reactive to increases or decreases in demand that do not impact upon costs to your company.
- Manage supply chain risk and implement risk mitigation plans where necessary.
- Be a point of escalation for supplier related issues.
- You will support the Purchasing Managers to deliver against departmental objectives.
- Reduce supplier base via preferred suppliers / supplier partnerships. Help drive and maximize efficiencies.
- You will support the Operations Purchasing team if supplier performance is causing persistent shortages to ensure that the business has a fully managed recovery plan.
- You will be responsible for working closely with the Purchasing Managers to ensure that supplier contracts are reviewed and maintained in line with business requirements. You will identify opportunities for improvement and cost reductions where possible.
- You will actively participate in and contribute to departmental management meetings led by the Director of Purchasing to support budgeting activities on PPV, travel costs, Cap Ex requirements and setting future strategy.
- You will conduct and lead Quarterly Business reviews with strategic suppliers and manage supplier audits in conjunction with the Purchasing Managers.
- You will work closely with the Quality team and the Purchasing managers to introduce a balanced scorecard system issued monthly to key/strategic suppliers.
- Liaising with engineering/commercial team to identify areas of standardisation and optimal design solutions for procurement from NPI to end of life.
- Liaising with commercial team to maximise opportunities for cost reductions on direct materials.
- You will assist the Operational Purchasing team to get corrective actions in place at the supplier for any non-conforming product that requires a long-term project for continuous improvement e.g. 8D
- You will support the Sales, Inventory and Operating planning process by analysing supplier capacities and developing plans to ensure that the business can provide new and existing customers with a dynamic solution to their requirements.
Skills and Behaviours Required:
- You must possess strong analytical and project management skills.
- You must be able to prioritise a heavy workload and re-evaluate regularly to accommodate current areas of focus for the business.
- An understanding of terms and conditions of contracts. Ability to negotiate favourable trading terms.
- The understanding of EOQs and EBQs and other parameters affecting the efficiency of purchasing routine items.
- Skilled and proven negotiator
- You must demonstrate personal behaviours in line with the company culture and environment
- Displays emotional intelligence at all times and has a natural ability to develop strong and trusted partnerships with key stakeholders.
- Strong knowledge of purchasing within a manufacturing environment, ideally low to medium volume, high complexity, electromechanical components, contract manufacturing or engineering
- Excellent ability to work and thrive in a fast paced, dynamic environment where lead times are short and demand is high.
- Lead by example in a positive and constructive way based on financial targets, supplier development and individual performance etc.
- Change agent who can identify opportunities for improvement and carry them through to implementation.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Educated to degree level in business or engineering discipline or qualified by experience
- CIPS certification preferred
- Proven experience working in a purchasing / supply chain role.
- Experience of working in a manufacturing environment essential
- Ability to interpret engineering drawings essential, with detailed knowledge of high tolerance machined products or electronic components
- Experience of project management
- Has sound financial understanding and commercial capability
- Working knowledge of MRP systems preferred, although training will be provided
- An understanding of low volume purchasing would be advantageous
- Intermediate user of Microsoft Office (Excel and Access)
- Experience of manufacturing techniques and processes essential
- Experienced in supplier sourcing, compliance, documentation, evaluation and selection
- You must be flexible and able to travel frequently within the UK and Europe.
Interested? To apply please e-mail email@example.com.